Jun 26, 2019
"Things are being constantly created...so it's very exciting to be not only in the finance area but in the data area."
GBD64. Rich Fox is Vice-President of Data Science and Analytics for Apex Parks Group, one of the USA's largest amusement park operators. Kyle Hannan (AICPA & CIMA, London, UK) talks to this 20-year analytics industry veteran and experienced thought leader, discussing how finance professionals can combine data, information, insights, action & results to improve businesses. Rich also shares some inside perspectives on how academia is working to train tomorrow's accountants in these new skills today.
* What is data analytics?
* What does it mean to be “data-driven”?
* When did data analytics become a ‘thing’?
* Get started with the 5 step process: Data. Information. Insights. Action & Results.
* Does data-analysis offer an opportunity to EVERY business, or are there some that have more to gain than others?
* Where should a business begin? What are some practical steps a business-leader can take to turn new insights into effective action?
* How are academic institutions keeping pace with teaching these data-analytics skills to the CPAs and CMAs of tomorrow?
* Richard’s presentation at this August’s “Beta Alpha Sci” conference (the US educational accounting fraternity annual conference).
Richard Fox has held several leadership roles in analytics and finance including CFO and six years with PricewaterhouseCoopers. He is a frequent speaker at Analytics conferences and Universities, and in 2018, built the Executive Track for the AICPA's new Data Driven Leader program focusing on how analytics is changing the Office of Finance. He blends an analytical and data-driven strategy with a deep understanding of business and finance to drive business performance in a breadth of industries including e-commerce, restaurants, hotels, retail, distribution, manufacturing and real estate. Rich also teaches Analytics in a Master’s program at San Diego State University and has a Graduate Certificate in Predictive Analytics from Northwestern University. Connect with him on LinkedIn.
* AICPA & CIMA resources and certificate courses on Data Analytics
* Ashok Noah is Vice President, Managing Director Learning, Education & Development, for the AICPA. See a preview list of his CFO -related presentations here.
MORE ABOUT OUR PODCAST.
These conversations with expert guests are recorded by different members of the AICPA & CIMA team from our offices around the world. While the sound quality may vary, the insights will always be consistently useful.
Hear more. Get our shows every week automatically and free. Share them easily with colleagues and friends by using the icons on your app or media player.
©2019 Association of International Certified Professional Accountants (AICPA & CIMA). All rights reserved.