May 22, 2019
"Data Science can help companies optimise how they're carrying out their business... to give the company a much clearer picture of what's valuable and what's problematic".
GBD59. Elaine McVey directs the decision science function at TransLoc, a rapidly growing mobility technology company based in the Eastern USA. She tells Jennifer Gardner (AICPA & CIMA, Durham, USA) how business and finance leaders can collaborate with data scientists to tackle real-world business issues. They explore some best practices any large business can adopt when using data science to reveal actionable insights that transform their decision-making.
* how finance and business leaders can transform their operations by making data and analytics readily available,
* the differences - and overlaps - between data science and decision science (human behaviour),
* how Elaine's management experience makes her such a powerful advocate for the application of Agile principles to data science work,
* about the best practices any large business can adopt when using data science to reveal actionable insights that transform their decision-making,
* just what IS Data Science?
* as a business leader, do you NEED to understand it before your business can benefit from it?
* ways that business and finance leaders can partner with data scientists,
* the differences between 'data science' and 'decision science',
* what's holding companies back from making full use of their data?
* and, how to make effective use of the data resources a business already has.
Elaine McVey is Director of Data Science at TransLoc, a fast-growing mobility technology company based in Chapel Hill, USA. She leads the team that creates quantitative tools for mobility decision making. A recurring theme throughout Elaine’s career has been improving the processes by which statistics and data science work is done.
A data scientist and author of several patents, Elaine has improved the lives of thousands by helping create an innovative type of transportation technology that gives citizens more accessibility to public transport.
In early 2019 she was selected for a “Women in Business Award” from the Triangle Business Journal, a leading provider of business news for Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Elaine received the “Leader in STEM Award”, honouring women who have improved the lives of others by helping start a business, product or service in the fields of science, technology, engineering and math.
* Using the CGMA Store? Explore these data-related learning materials and resources.
* If you're an AICPA Store-user, see its list of Data Analytics courses here.
MORE ABOUT OUR PODCAST.
These conversations with expert guests are recorded by different members of the AICPA & CIMA team from our offices around the world. While the sound quality may vary, the insights will always be consistently useful.
Hear more. Get our shows every week automatically and free. Share them easily with colleagues and friends by using the icons on your app or media player.
©2019 Association of International Certified Professional Accountants (AICPA & CIMA). All rights reserved.